My name is Lilly Moore and I am a Lane Tech alumna from the graduating class of 2018. Like many of you I had a computer science focus during high school taking classes such as AP Computer Science A, Android Application Development, and Physical Computing Lab.
I know many of you upperclassmen are currently either looking at or applying to colleges and I wanted to reach out and introduce to you a school that is probably not on your radar: the Raikes School at the University of Nebraska – Lincoln.
The Raikes School is an elite program with a focus on computer science and business. The school was developed by faculty who previously worked for the Stanford computer science department and wanted to spread their knowledge to a less known University.
All of the specifics of the Raikes School are attached below but I figured I’d pinpoint a few important facts:
- ~90% out of the 34 students in my cohort(class) had an internship during the summer after their freshman year.
- 4 of them, including myself :), interned at Microsoft and spent the summer in Seattle as a freshman.
- Every student in the Raikes School either has or is very close to having a full ride.
- Every student goes through Design Studio during their last two years which is where they complete a project for a real-world sponsor.
- 95% of students have a job within three months of graduating.
Aside from academics the Raikes school has introduced me to some of my best friends. It has allowed me to have the experience of a Big 10 school while still enjoying the community you get from going to a small school. It really is the best of both worlds.
The link to UNL application is located here, upon admission to the University you must apply for the honors program and select “Raikes School”.
More information about applying is located in the flier but applications are due November 1st! I’d love to see more Chicago and Lane Tech faces around here!