Paid position – Assist with kids coding classes!
Power Up Tech Academy (http://powerupta.com) offers classes for kids in grades K-8 to learn to code. We are looking for 1 or 2 new teaching assistants (TAs) to assist an experienced adult teacher in these classes.
Current openings are:
- 5:30-6:30pm Wednesdays
- 2867 N Clybourn Ave (less than 1.5 miles from Lane Tech)
- 244 W Willow St (a few blocks from Sedgwick brown line)
- must be there 4:15-5:45pm to help set up and clean up
Both classes are “Make Your Own Video Games” using Scratch. Students are mainly beginners.
This position is paid $12 per hour. The extra half hour on Friday is paid as well. The TA must be able to come every week. Classes run into mid-March. It is possible to apply for only one of the two classes, but please make that clear in your email.
If the TA is successful with the first class(es) there is opportunity for more hours in the next session.
Requirements for the Teaching Assistant job:
- Programming experience, such as at least one completed CS programming class
- Scratch experience would be preferred
- Experience working with younger kids (ages 7-10)
- Good communications skills – able to explain things in a simple way
- High energy, friendly, good with people
- Reliable, punctual, respond to emails in timely manner
To apply, students should email jobs with why they are interested in and qualified for this job. If selected for an interview, they will need to provide the name of a teacher and one other adult who can be a reference for them.